Tuesday 23 October 2007

Spent Saturday demonstrating at the Warner archive in Braintree. We had a steady stream of interested visitors. I wish I was on commission for babylock embellishers -I would have made a fortune judging the interest.
Having spent the day there I began getting annoyed at the lack of gallery space in my own area. We have one decent gallery which is located in a school (our Material Girls 2006 exhibition is in the picture above) and is a great space but because of its location it suffers from lack of visitors from the general public although education in the area makes great use of it. Other than that there's the odd wall in a library. We suffer from the great suburban no mans land syndrome- we have the talent in the area but if we want to display it we have to go outside into London or off to a 'tourist area' miles away. London, of course, is prohibitively expensive to us ordinary mortals and we get no funding really for the arts (or indeed for anything else much).We are located in a big suburban wasteland. Lets hope that when the ERTF is off the ground we will be able to do something about it.

1 comment:

sharon young said...

Hi Chrissy
Lovely work in the photo, is it your group's work? I'm a bit confused with your visit to the Warner Archive, maybe I've missed a post somewhere, it doesn't take much to confuse me!
I've just bought a Janome embellisher yesterday, and am about to spend the day playing with a view to the rust project.
Thanks for the tip about the markal sticks, always wanted to try them!