Saturday 11 June 2011

An End- A Beginning?

What a week! after slowly settling back into the 'normality' of post degree life all -of a sudden the fact that JC had ceased to trade drops like a lead weight!

How did it feel to the new graduate group? Initial relief that we had 'made it under the wire' so to speak, incredible sadness for our fellow students and friends who were still treading the path, almost a survivors gulit. Then the nasty realisation that, although we had 'graduated' and been informed of our awards informally we had nothing formal in writing. The next 24 hours and dozens of e-mails to both JC and Middlesex Uni. finally merited a reply- our degrees were definitely safe, Middlesex were on the case.

People keep saying to me 'how lucky it was' that I decided to condense my degree, to double up on my workload so I could graduate a year early. It was - but I always had a nagging feeling that the sooner I got out the better, even as we graduated there was an atmosphere in the air that all was not perhaps as it should be. I made no secret of this feeling but I did think it would last at least another year and now I feel so sorry for the others and guilty that just for once it isn't me up to my neck in it.

Then over the last few days parts of my 'new life' started happening - I had a small article about me published in Felt Matters, I hosted a really good afternoon for the ERTF (I'm the new Essex Rep. now) where we have managed to put in place all sorts of new, exciting ideas about regular events we are going to initiate for our area and then news that I had been selected as a Licentiate of the Society of Designer Craftsmen came through the door, a body I've hungered to belong to for a long time. Its a funny old world isn't it.

7 comments:

Miriam Weaver said...

Well done on all counts, the Article, the Selection into the Designer Craftsman, all well deserved. And of course the ERTF meeting yesterday, I don't think I've ever seen so many cakes. I was also very impressed with myself I only ate two, mind you that was two more than I should have had!

Catherina said...

Congratulations, Chris with becoming a Licentiate and the placement of your aticle but most of all with getting the crown on 5 years of intense study. I am still in some kind of vacuum after the initial shock of JC's death and I am forced to reevaluate my goals, which is not necesarily a bad thing.

Diane Kelsey said...

So glad you completed your degree early, really feel sorry for those already planning their graduation next year.

Judy Martin said...

Hi Crhis

Congratulations for everything - it's great that you have been written about.

I am not going to worry myself too much about the graduation process - we have heard from Middlesex that our year (2012) will be fine, but others may have to find other paths.

So hopefully, I and my fellow 2012 grads have also made it under the wire. Thanks for your concern and good luck again.

Heather said...

Congratulations for everything, and I'm quite sure that your fellow students who haven't reached the end of their studies won't begrudge you getting there. Don't feel guilty, but enjoy your exciting new life which you have earned by all that hard work.

jan s said...

Congratulations on achieving your degree, Chris. I was so shocked to learn JC has just closed. I fell victim to Alex Caprara's duplicity at Opus and was just getting ready to resume my degree course through JC. I'm so disappointed and sorry for everyone who started off with such hope for a brighter future after the Opus calamity. I have been out of touch for the past couple of years so don't know the background but it is still very sad to see.

jan s said...

Congratulations on achieving your degree, Chris. I was so shocked to learn JC has just closed. I fell victim to Alex Caprara's duplicity at Opus and was just getting ready to resume my degree course through JC. I'm so disappointed and sorry for everyone who started off with such hope for a brighter future after the Opus calamity. I have been out of touch for the past couple of years so don't know the background but it is still very sad to see.