Monday 25 May 2009

Saying No

What a weekend! The first of Kirsty's friends passed their driving test 2 weeks ago (first time- very well done) so they decided they were going to take a trip to Camber Sands. Well from where we live that's over a 2 hour drive, mostly on motorways and involving the M25 and negotiating the Dartford Crossing- which, if you do that regularly like us, you will know that is not a pleasant thing even for an experienced driver let alone in heavy bank holiday traffic. I knew a couple of the other parents weren't happy but nobody seemed prepared to rock the boat- so I did. I said no.
Needless to say all hell broke loose. I became the worst mother on the planet.
An hour later,once the histrionics calmed down and I was able to get a word in edgeways, I suggested that for her first non-local trip they went to Clacton instead- an hour away and all on A roads.
Last night they came home- slightly sunburnt, full of tales of the day and laughter and, most importantly of all, in one piece. I am not likely to win any popularity contests amongst her friends in the near future but if that's what it takes to keep them all safe its alright by me.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Without a doubt you did the right thing. And I'm sure they all had a wonderful time.

Gwen said...

You were totally right, and someday your daughter will thank you, and be a "rotten mother" to her own daughter!